Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2013

Bang your stick


That line is not mine. I mean I can't take it off my head since reading [Alan's] Marilyn's "You can choose; or go with armour, helmets... pantomime, theatricals, warlike women or big sticksIt's probably too much Nanny McPhee. I have become a fan of the unruly children-featuring film since becoming a mom to a handful.

Anyway, sticks. Perhaps something like a sceptre will do? And I got this photo from a recent Golden Reign Exhibit,  with exactly just that.


Known as Rama IX, Thailand's American-born King Bhumibol Adulyadej is the world's longest-serving current head of state and longest-reigning monarch in Thai history (Wikipedia) He is also the world's richest royal with a fortune estimated to be worth more than $30 billion (Forbes). 

King Bhumibol (pronounced POH-mee-pahd) is shown on the photo with his wife, Queen Sirikit and son, crown prince Vajiralongkorn, holding his sceptre, which is adorned by Garuda, a mythical half-bird, half-human figure.


Being Thailand's national symbol, the Garuda can be seen everywhere in the kingdom. What I have not seen is a follow-up report of that 546-carat diamond said to adorn the King's sceptre to commemorate the 50th anniversary of his ascension to the throne.

15 comments:

  1. Always keen to hear about Thailand. One of my daughters is "somewhere in Thailand" with her boyfriend having a 3 week summer holiday with a loose plan, the other daughter is, more alarmingly for me (due to place name/alphabet spelling problems, made no easier by dyslexia), just 'somewhere' in Laos (it seems usually on a 50 hour bus ride), After nearly a year backpacking she has to get back to Bangkok soon if she still plans to start Uni in September !! And I know the Garuda, I collect flags and have the King's flag. I saw this nice yellow flag being waved by protesters a 5 or 6 years ago (I forget the particular political problems)and decided I must have one, so I contacted a social media friend in Thailand and she found one for me, which I now fly on the King's birthday in December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigel, 'somewhere in Thailand' sounds okay. We're 'partying' here continuously. "Somewhere in Laos" sounds too quiet though. I visited Ventianne, the capital about two years ago and there was virtually nothing to see or do there. Here's hoping the daughter will come home in time for Uni. Surely she will have lots of adventure tales to tell :)

      The yellow flags are pro-royals. I'm not sure if the reds have theirs too. I usually stay home and just watch them on TV whenever they start protests.

      Delete
  2. The Garuda is wearing a very nice helmet with a point on top.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hazel I'm embarrassed to admit I had no idea what a Garuda was. I am now enlightened by your post. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, don't be. We're all learning bits and pieces here and there, day by day :) Glad you were enlightened!

      Delete
  4. Well I know my post said 'don't mess with Britannia' but my goodness, I wouldn't want to mess with the Garuda either. It's enough to give small children nightmares.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately small children are too young to notice the figure on top of their birth certificates when they are born. They get used to the looks and grow to think of it as something that protects them from nightmares :)

      Delete
  5. Oh dear, yes I'm running a bit scared myself! Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, having been a very keen stamp collector in my youth, I've been aware of King Bhumibol for a long time, but I had no idea that the pronunciation was as you have told us. Why not spell it phonetically, I wonder, if one is going to write it in western script?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, my thoughts too. The airport here is Suvarnabhumi but pronounced Su-wa-na-poom!

      Delete
  7. That is a wonderful interpretation of the theme. I have to confess that the "women with big sticks" line was marilyn's not mine - I wish I had thought it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sorry. I was referring to your introduction of this week's theme at the SS home. But I'll go edit.

      Delete
  8. Thanks for clearing up the pronunciation of the airport name. What a mouthful. Amazing that the King would wear a diamond so large in these days. I guess as they say, "If you've got it, flaunt it!" I always enjoy and look forward to reading your take on these prompts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fearsome Gurada is new to me too.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...