Pages

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Literary takedowns

This post is linked with: Booking Through, Thursday 13 

My dog just had his birthday (12 years old, thanks), so … how do you feel about books about dogs or pets? Fluffy stories of fluffy family members? Solid books on training them or taking care of them? Touching reminiscences of trouble and the way a person’s dog (or pet) has helped get them through?

(Mind you, almost all the pet-related books on my shelf are about dogs, but I’m well aware that people love their cats, horses, ferrets, rabbits, fish, etc. just as much, so … any species is fine!)

Any favorite books to recommend?
 Mozart (r) on his first birthday with guest/buddy Shopao (l, neighbor's pooch)

I notice, browse and admire those books about dogs but I actually do not have any of them. When I had my fur son I read about how to take care of him online and just asked his vet whenever I needed a quick question answered. Guess I was more keen on spoiling him. The spoiling took its toll. He turns 12 in August and behaves like a cat, eg. feeling entitled.

If I want Mozart to come to me I don't say "come" but "bye-bye, Mo." When it's bath time he suddenly gets busy pretending the noodle ad he's watching on TV is of national importance. Fur parents like me should probably read When Pigs Fly!: Training Success With Impossible Dogs. Or maybe someone should write us a book like When Pigs Fly: Training Success With Spoiled Rotten Poodles.

I have lots of DVDs that feature dogs though. One of my faves is Lassie Come Home. I can't stand stories or anything in the news that show dogs or any animal being mistreated.

Serious reading I did for Mozart was after my divorce when I had to pack him to Grandma's house. It was international travel. The process involved customs, quarantines, airline regulations on flying pets and government to government communications. It was major stress.

Now that we're back to normal I am eyeing a fun read called Arlo Needs Glasses. Here's the book trailer if you want to watch -


 ~ x ~


Thursday 13: literary takedowns. What do you think of authors or editors bashing other authors or their works? Have you had a fave author or work attacked? What was your reaction?
 
1.   V.S. Naipul against Jane Austen
2.   Stephen King against Stephenie Meyer
3.   Kathryn Schulz against F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby
4.   Christian Lorentzen against Alice Munro (Poor Rose)
5.   Joseph Epstein against Franz Kafka (overrated?)
6.   Mark Twain against Fenimore Cooper (his Literary Offenses)
7.   Oliver Wendell Holmes against Plato 
8.   David Foster Wallace against John Updike (Phallocrat)
9.   George Bernanrd Shaw against Shakespeare
10. Lord Byron against Chaucer
11. Nabokov against Dostoyevksky
12. Bertrand Russell against Socrates
13. Ralph Waldo Emerson against Jane Austen

9 comments:

  1. My kittens are spoiled too - just like Puss in Boots from "Shrek", they only have to turn on the innocent look and I cave. My post is here Backchatting Books BTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm seeing a pattern, Vilia - book lovers' pets are usually spoiled? Don't we know how to discipline eh? :)

      Delete
  2. I have read "The Lost Dogs" by Jim Gorant several times & still cry. I highly recommend it. As for author/book bashing...I read banned books and promo Banned Book Week. I can't imagine my teen years without Judy Blume's Forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check out The Lost Dogs, Mary. Is it really a heart-breaker? I may not be able to finish reading it.

      Delete
  3. Cute stories about your pet....thanks for sharing. Here's MY BTT POST

    ReplyDelete
  4. As I see it, you can't please everyone, so if no one attacks your work, no one will like it either. It would just be mediocre.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's right Anthony. And probably less or no chance of exposure to a worldwide audience.

      Delete
  5. Mozart is so cute!! :) Here's my post http://thecraftyhome.net/2013/07/booking-through-thursday-pet-books-71113/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice answer, here's mine.

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2013/07/booking-through-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...