Pages

Friday, July 5, 2013

Thrones, stairs and ambassadors

The few visitors in the throne hall of King Narai's palace were leaving when I got there. Pleased with the solitude, I lingered. The quiet seemed to usher in an opportunity to commune with the spirit of the ruins, however fleeting it was.

Like usual thrones this one is elevated.  Over at his palace King Narai had foreign dignitaries, those of France's King Louise XIV whose practice of wearing high heels was hypothetically due to his short height.  There must have been some influence or connection there.

This is the Dusit Sawan hall. The stairs are steep. Imagine King Narai going up the steps to sit on his throne. I reckon the act was not very comfortable, but then I'm no king and they must have adapted some fashion of climbing steep stairs in 1666.


This is a close-up of the memorial plaque by the throne. It portrays King Narai granting an audience with French ambassadors -


The ruins still exuded so much character. Ambling behind the throne was like playing hide n' seek with whatever friendly ghost was left in there. Numerous climbs must have taken place on this flight of stairs before the roof went off to reveal that sole flier in the vast space above.


Then I proceeded to the living quarters of the king's many wives....

~ x ~
Shared with Time Travel & Sepia Saturday

18 comments:

  1. I thought the Thais were very keen on Lèse-majesté. Perhaps I would have avoided sitting on his throne if I did not fancy a few months in a Thai jail !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nigel, you better not! The Bangkok Hilton has quite a reputation ;)

      Delete
  2. King Narai certainly knew how to show who's boss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the photos!I want a Throne when I grow up!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want one too! but yeah, later when I grow up :D

      Delete
  4. Guess we'd all like a throne when we're grown. Groan. I wouldn't want to climb those stairs with a belly full of deli - or perhaps Thai Kings didn't eat to excess.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Siam? Is this the place where the Yul Brynner movie (Anna and the King of Siam) was set? Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Siam yes, but I'm not sure if filming locations were done in modern day Thailand. I heard though that Thai authorities have banned Hollywood's latest remake of the film.

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't like a throne, ever. Especially up those steep stairs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It all seems to have survived remarkably intact for something open to the elements, or is the throne room still covered?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's no longer covered. There's about a six-foot drop once you reached the top of the stairs so curious visitors had better be careful with their exploration instincts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i can see how you were caught up in the atmosphere. I'd be struggling on those stairs though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What an amazing place, and one that would be very interesting to visit I'm sure. Was it the last photo, where all his wives lived, must have been very remarkable back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Karen but when I reached and saw the place I was not impressed at all. It resembled a row of low budget, low quality, very simple classrooms. Guess the women were not wives, but more like concubines.

      Delete
  11. To sit on the throne had a different meaning whan I was a boy and nothing to do with Kings and Queens. Great photos of an amazing place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember that different meaning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always think of having to do all of these royal things when feeling sick and old. Not letting on that your knees are killing you. That your stomach keeps repeating what you had for breakfast. Just wanting to get off your feet and be alone, really alone. But then royalty can never be truly alone, especially when everyone is watching you climb all those stairs.

    Fascinating place.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...